you know why work is so laid back in big tech companies?
because 2% of the people in tech companies are idealists that actually work 100 hour weeks to deliver value, so that the other 98% can fuck around and goof off.
I remember looking out the floor to ceiling windows of the tower office, sometime around 11:30 PM. 50th floor, one of maybe 10 people still in the building, 5 of which were probably night security.
I remember feeling so much fucking rage and contempt at humanity as I looked out of that window, seeing the entire city. a city of fucking leeches. With the insane tax rate, the only thing I got out of putting in so much work was personal pride - getting shit done, delivering value on target. Overtime getting taxed out the ass, so that all these fuckers down there can do no work, and still go home at 5 pm. I'm carrying the fucking GDP, and there is absolutely no remuneration for it.
I can understand why something like this would wanna make you jump. If your entire identity is your work, and you just keep getting punished for doing good work, it could make you feel like the entire world's insane and there's no place for you here.